Posted by: thepinetree on 04/15/2017 10:18 AM
Updated by: thepinetree on 04/15/2017 11:16 AM
Expires: 01/01/2022 12:00 AM
It Was "Ray Sutliffe" Last Night At Camp Connell General Store
Camp Connell, CA....Last night was "Ray Sutliffe" night at Camp Connell General Store. Owner Dan Tulipani said "Ray has been a fixture at Camp Connell for many years, helping out with special events in the backyard, and taking recyclables for us (or at least for my sister Donna). He's had a difficult time of late, and well Ray here's to you - our tribute to a local gem! In Ray's honor, and for rest of April, all regular wine will be priced at "Ray's Price" which is $5 per glass. Hope you will join us in tribute!"
The story of Camp Connell Continues....
The Camp Connell of today was largely influenced by the surging popularity of auto travel through the mountains inspired when Dr. D. Sargent of Angels Camp became the first to drive an automobile over Ebbetts Pass in 1908. Family camping was destined to become an extremely popular recreational activity To meet those demands, Jack Connell began construction of a campground, cabins, general store and gas pumps in 1928. He and his wife named their endeavor "Camp Connell". Opened for business in 1929, the general store and gas station have been in operation ever since. The Connell's continued to expand the store and added a café to serve the increasing number of visitors. By 1934 the Post Office was moved to the store and became "Camp Connell Station". The store was a local gathering place where local residents and vacationers alike would come to share news and leave messages, much as it is today. Occasionally, Circuit Court was convened in the building. Monte Wolfe, Art and Harry Schimke, the Whittles, Hunts, Tryons, Lombardis, and Airolas were frequent visitors.
While the popularity of the general store and café continued, the campground was closed in 1949 and the property was subdivided into lots selling for $600 each. The cabins remained as part of Camp Connell until the 1960's, when the highway was realigned to accommodate the ski resort and village at Bear Valley, as well as the development of Big Trees Village. The old highway became the current two accesses to Camp Connell and the property has stayed much the same ever since.
Today the Camp Connell General Store is one of the oldest Chevron stations in California as well as the longest continuously operated retail business between Murphys and Markleeville. It is a popular stop for visitors and a cherished part of the local community."