Posted by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:29 AM
Updated by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:35 AM
Expires: 01/01/2018 12:00 AM
Calaveras Performing Arts Center Will Have To Wait
San Andreas, CA...In a 3-2 vote yesterday the Calaveras Unified School District Board decided against construction of a new 500 seat Performing Arts Center. In the face of declining enrollment and an over $2 million budget shortfall other plans will be made for the bond funds available to the district. The decision will mean CUSD will forgo $1.2 million in additional funds from the state...
The Photo Above is From Saturday's Study Session
At the core of the issue is enrollment. CUSD is down over 500 students in recent years and the pipeline for additional enrollment is not what it could be.
The board is looking at measures such as increasing class size, reducing school sites and other measures to make the budget numbers work.
It is still unclear what capital improvement projects the bond funds will be allocated to.
At the end of the day I think for all of us in the community news like this should be a cause for action to try and increase the enrollment at our local schools. With the great schools, teachers and traditions in our area having to see administrators contemplate closing schools and reducing teacher numbers is very sad.
This area has great quality of life draws and by all measures is a wonderful place to raise families. We need to replace lost middle class jobs here that were lost during the downturn. Many families were forced to leave our area in the recession.
There are options....we can let the slide continue or roll up our sleeves and get to work bringing and growing jobs here that can allow families to live work and grow where they want to instead of where they driven by circumstances have to.
|Comments - Make a comment
|The comments are owned by the poster. We are not responsible for its content. We value free speech but remember this is a public forum and we hope that people would use common sense and decency. If you see an offensive comment please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|These might interest you as well
phpws Business Directory
- Governor Brown Signs Bill Barring Redskins Mascot Name
- Calaveras County Sheriff's Logs Through September 27th
- Mark Twain Medical Center is Once Again Promoting Pink in the Night in...
- Butte Fire Evening Update...71,780 Acres, 47% Contained, 233 Homes & 175...
- Calaveras Community Foundation Establishes Butte Fire Disaster Relief ...
- CCWD Board Back In Action On September 9th
- Congratulations! You Live Or Visit One Of The Best Counties In the US!...
- Butte Fire Update....96% Containment & Mokelumne Hill Community Meeting...
- Dr. Michael T. Romano Jr, 1950 - 2015
- Food Waste Bins Deployed By Cal-Waste
- Traffic Update...Hwy 26 From Mokelumne Hill to Hwy 88 Now Open
- Hotel Leger Back Up & Running!
- Boy Scout Troop 302 Will Be Collecting Food & Money For Evacuees on Mo...
- Reminder...All CUSD Schools Will Be Closed Monday and Tuesday Because Of...
- All CUSD Schools Closed Will Be Closed Monday
- All CUSD Schools Closed Tomorrow
- Mark Twain Medical Center Announces 17th Annual Fall Health Fair
- Calaveras County Grand Jury Needs Your Input
- Rail Road Flat Butte Fire Community Meeting Set For October 1st
- The Angry Serb Farm Thanks Local Families For Heroic Efforts During The...
- First Butte Fire Fatality Recovered Near Mokelumne Hill
- (Arnold Area Restrictions Lifted) Butte Fire Re-Population Phase II & ...
- Domestic Animals During An Emergency
- Calaveras County Public Health Issues Heat Advisory to Residents
- Butte Fire Explodes To 4,000 Acres, 42 Engines, 4 Water Tenders, 12 Fire...
- Butte Fire Traffic Update. Moke Hill Evacuations Etc
- Air Quality Alert: Wildfire Smoke Warning
- Butte Fire Surges To 1,200 Acres
- Major Injuries To Amador City Man In Motorcycle Vs Tree Accident
- Major Injuries To Jackson Man In Cement Truck Rollover
- Traffic Update....Cement Truck Rollover In The Curves North Of Moke Hill...
- Downed Power Lines Spark West Point Area Fire
- Deceased Male Found Off Of Winton Road
- Moke Hill Music Scene Is Alive & Well At Hotel Leger! Blues & BBQ Today!
- LABOR DAY HOTEL SPECIAL! Stay 2 Nights, Get 3rd Night FREE!