Posted by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:29 AM
Updated by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:35 AM
Expires: 01/01/2018 12:00 AM
Calaveras Performing Arts Center Will Have To Wait
San Andreas, CA...In a 3-2 vote yesterday the Calaveras Unified School District Board decided against construction of a new 500 seat Performing Arts Center. In the face of declining enrollment and an over $2 million budget shortfall other plans will be made for the bond funds available to the district. The decision will mean CUSD will forgo $1.2 million in additional funds from the state...
The Photo Above is From Saturday's Study Session
At the core of the issue is enrollment. CUSD is down over 500 students in recent years and the pipeline for additional enrollment is not what it could be.
The board is looking at measures such as increasing class size, reducing school sites and other measures to make the budget numbers work.
It is still unclear what capital improvement projects the bond funds will be allocated to.
At the end of the day I think for all of us in the community news like this should be a cause for action to try and increase the enrollment at our local schools. With the great schools, teachers and traditions in our area having to see administrators contemplate closing schools and reducing teacher numbers is very sad.
This area has great quality of life draws and by all measures is a wonderful place to raise families. We need to replace lost middle class jobs here that were lost during the downturn. Many families were forced to leave our area in the recession.
There are options....we can let the slide continue or roll up our sleeves and get to work bringing and growing jobs here that can allow families to live work and grow where they want to instead of where they driven by circumstances have to.
|Comments - Make a comment
|The comments are owned by the poster. We are not responsible for its content. We value free speech but remember this is a public forum and we hope that people would use common sense and decency. If you see an offensive comment please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|These might interest you as well
- The CCWD Board Is Back In Action On Wednesday
- Spring Home-Buying Season Off To Strong Start
- Cal-Waste Proudly Sponsors Fair & Frog Jump
- Junior Miss Calaveras Crowned, Jr. Frog Jump Winners Announced
- Doris Barger To Celebrate 8th Annual Golf Outing
- The 2015 Mini Math Bowl Results Are In
- Classical Revolution Comes to Petroglyphe Sunday Fine Art Concert Series...
- Erica Seawell,45, Passed Away Suddenly On April 30, 2015
- Results from the 47th Annual Calaveras County Spelling Bee
- Two With Major Injuries In Hwy 49 Crash
- VA Rural Health Outreach
- Ailene A. Haley 1929 - 2015
- Fire Update...Structure Fire In West Point
- Calaveras & Amador 2015 Joint Disaster Emergency Exercise
- Make Plans To Enjoy Tri-Tip For A Great Cause
- Calaveras County Sheriff's Logs For April 1-8, 2015
- CUSD Preschool Enrollment Coming Up Soon
- Mark Twain Medical Center participates in National Healthcare Decisions...
- Newbys Seek To Represent Themselves In Attempted Murder Case
- April Workshops at Petroglyphe Gallery's Quarry Hill Studio
- Hotel Leger Backyard Blues n BBQ 2015 Summer Music Series
- Sound Underground Concert on Sunday May 31 at Petroglyphe Gallery
- Elsa Elizabeth Dyer 1934 - 2015
- Mother's Day at the Historic Hotel Leger
- Missing Person: Dane Allen Casey, 49, 5'11", 170lbs, brown hair, b...
- Jeffrey T. Williams 1958 - 2015
- Shop Local! Sierra Hills, Angels Food & Sierra Hills Natural Food Mark...
- San Andreas Woman Loses Her Life In Accident Near Mokelumne Hill
- UCCE Master Food Preservers 2015 Volunteer Training Program Amador &...
- Techniques to Painting Clouds in Watercolor with Dale Laitinen at Petr...
- The 2015 6th Annual Tiger Fest Gourmet Dinner at The RRF Community Club...
- Mark Twain Medical Center Announces 6th Annual Spring Health Fair & Lupus...
- Protect our Historic Resources ~By Julia G. Costello
- Calaveras Sheriff's Volunteers...Who Are The Sheriff Volunteers In...
- Supervisors To Discuss Mokelumne River Wild & Scenic Designation At Sp...
phpws Business Directory