Posted by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:29 AM
Updated by: thepinetree on 01/23/2013 10:35 AM
Expires: 01/01/2018 12:00 AM
Calaveras Performing Arts Center Will Have To Wait
San Andreas, CA...In a 3-2 vote yesterday the Calaveras Unified School District Board decided against construction of a new 500 seat Performing Arts Center. In the face of declining enrollment and an over $2 million budget shortfall other plans will be made for the bond funds available to the district. The decision will mean CUSD will forgo $1.2 million in additional funds from the state...
The Photo Above is From Saturday's Study Session
At the core of the issue is enrollment. CUSD is down over 500 students in recent years and the pipeline for additional enrollment is not what it could be.
The board is looking at measures such as increasing class size, reducing school sites and other measures to make the budget numbers work.
It is still unclear what capital improvement projects the bond funds will be allocated to.
At the end of the day I think for all of us in the community news like this should be a cause for action to try and increase the enrollment at our local schools. With the great schools, teachers and traditions in our area having to see administrators contemplate closing schools and reducing teacher numbers is very sad.
This area has great quality of life draws and by all measures is a wonderful place to raise families. We need to replace lost middle class jobs here that were lost during the downturn. Many families were forced to leave our area in the recession.
There are options....we can let the slide continue or roll up our sleeves and get to work bringing and growing jobs here that can allow families to live work and grow where they want to instead of where they driven by circumstances have to.
|Comments - Make a comment
|The comments are owned by the poster. We are not responsible for its content. We value free speech but remember this is a public forum and we hope that people would use common sense and decency. If you see an offensive comment please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|These might interest you as well
- Make Plans Now To Attend Or Exhibit At The 2014 Home & Garden Show March...
- Don't Let The Drought Dry You Out! Call Frog Hollow Today!
- Sheriff’s Staff Obtaining A Police Dog ~ By Nick Baptista
- Request for Proposal for Ambulance Service in Calaveras County
- Some Rooms Too Hot? Some Rooms Too Cold? Give Aire Serve A Call!
- Parent Volunteers Being Honored at Tonight's CUSD Board Meeting
- Lily, Pansy, Monica, Ariel, Milo & More Are Waiting For You!
- PATV Schedule for the Week of March 7 - 13, 2013
- Caltrans Road Report For March 2 - 8, 2014
- Calaveras County Sheriff's Logs for February 20 - 27, 2014
- March at Deborah Marlene's In Beautiful Mokelumne Hill
- Calaveras County Supervisors Vote Unanimously For Mokelumne River With...
- Taxpayers Promoting Constitution
- (Elémentaire TV) Episode 18: R - Render [Potato Leek Soup & Beer Cheese...
- Gary Keith Wills, 63, November 10, 1950 - Feb 25, 2014
- Petroglyphe Gallery March 2014 Workshops COLOR MIXING IN WATERCOLOR...
- St. Patrick's Day Mystery Dinner in West Point “Deadly Inc...
- Board Passes Resolution Supporting Wild and Scenic Designaiton For The...
- The Visitors Bureau Urges You To Support Tourism on the Mokelumne River!
- Traffic Update....Traffic Accident near Winton Rd / Lily Gap Rd
phpws Business Directory