Posted by: Kim_Hamilton on 03/07/2011 12:49 PM
Updated by: Kim_Hamilton on 03/07/2011 01:56 PM
Expires: 01/01/2016 12:00 AM
Fruit Crisp with Almond Crumb and Lavender Whipped Cream~by Lunch Lady Catering
As I cruised through the produce section at my favorite market the other day, I saw a pile of bosc pears which I felt were gently calling my name. I gladly responded by buying a couple of pounds to enjoy throughout the week. Near the pears, I found fresh blueberries on sale, and began concocting a recipe in my head. At this time of year, baking is always on my mind, and mixing the pears and blueberries, both highly aromatic fruit, in a delicate and simple baked crumble served warm with some softly whipped cream sounded like the perfect drizzly evening dessert. I knew the fruit would be delicious, but wanted to add some other ingredients to make it a bit more unique. I settled on an almond crumb top, and decided to infuse the whipped cream with lavender. It melds the delicate flavor of winter pears, and the sweet hint of summer blueberries evoke. The very lightly sweetened lavender whipped cream, and rich, buttery nut topping all combine to create the perfect balance to the sweet fruit. This recipe is easy to make, and even easier to enjoy!
Pear Blueberry Crumble with Lavender Whipped Cream....
Click Above to Visit the Lovely Lunch Lady Caterer!
2 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup ground blanched almonds
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
1/2 pint whipped cream
1 tsp honey
1 tsp food grade lavender (available at The Spice Tin)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. As crumble is baking, bring cream gently to a simmer in a heavy bottom sauce pan
2. Add lavender and honey, turn heat off.
3. Allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 min
4. Strain and refrigerate until cold
5. Whip to soft peaks just prior to serving
1. In a mixing bowl, combine fruit, using your hand, crush about 1/4 cup blueberries.
2. Toss fruit with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
3. Place in baking dish and dot with 1/2 stick of butter.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add butter, and blend into dry ingredients, compressing with your hands until you have a very crumbly texture with pea-size pieces.
3. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit,
4. Place in oven and bake approximately 50min, or until juices bubble, and topping is golden
Serve crumble warm, topped with whipped cream, and smile!
Have a Delicious Day!
Lunch Lady Catering
Find us on Facebook!